Folks,

A bit of a note on build failures on Bamboo. As it stands the Error Summary section shows all messages sent to system error, so if the *actual* error of a build is sent to system out, it would be included in the summary. This seems to be the case with the compilation plugin in Maven 2, so I've raised an issue for this at:

http://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BAM-1010

For now though, we you see a build failure with no test failures, it's probably best to look at the "Logs" tab of each build failure to see exactly what's gone wrong. For Struts, it seems that build has been failing since STRUTS-MAIN-186, about 2 weeks ago (the mail notifications weren't coming through until quite recently). From the logs, the error was:

From: http://opensource.bamboo.atlassian.com/browse/STRUTS-MAIN-186 - Updated by apetrelli

[INFO] Compilation failure

/home/ ​j2ee/​xml-data/​build-dir/​STRUTS-MAIN/​plugins/​ tiles/​src/​main/​ java/​org/​apache/​struts2/​views/​ tiles/​TilesResult.java:[104,17] cannot find symbol symbol : method render (java.lang.String,javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest,javax.servlet.ht tp.HttpServletResponse)
location: interface org.apache.tiles.TilesContainer

/home/ ​j2ee/​xml-data/​build-dir/​STRUTS-MAIN/​plugins/​ tiles/​src/​main/​ java/​org/​apache/​struts2/​tiles/​ StrutsTilesContainerFactory.java:[85,4] org.apache.struts2.tiles.StrutsTilesContainerFactory.StrutsTilesContextF actory is not abstract and does not override abstract method createRequestContext (org.apache.tiles.TilesApplicationContext,java.lang.Object,java.lang.Obj ect) in org.apache.tiles.context.TilesContextFactory

/home/ ​j2ee/​xml-data/​build-dir/​STRUTS-MAIN/​plugins/​ tiles/​src/​main/​ java/​org/​apache/​struts2/​tiles/​ StrutsTilesContainerFactory.java:[102,49] cannot find symbol symbol : method createRequestContext (org.apache.tiles.TilesApplicationContext,java.lang.Object[])
location: interface org.apache.tiles.context.TilesContextFactory

This error persisted until STRUTS-MAIN-209, where it became a dependency issue.

From: http://opensource.bamboo.atlassian.com/browse/STRUTS-MAIN-209 - Updated Rene Gielen

[INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.

Missing:
----------
1) org.apache.struts:struts-annotations:jar:1.0.2-SNAPSHOT

  Then, install it using the command:
mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=org.apache.struts - DartifactId=struts-annotations \ -Dversion=1.0.2-SNAPSHOT -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=/path/​ to/​file

  Path to dependency:
          1) org.apache.struts:struts2-dojo-plugin:jar:2.1.0-SNAPSHOT
          2) org.apache.struts:struts-annotations:jar:1.0.2-SNAPSHOT

----------
1 required artifact is missing.

for artifact:
  org.apache.struts:struts2-dojo-plugin:jar:2.1.0-SNAPSHOT

from the specified remote repositories:
  Maven Snapshots (http://snapshots.maven.codehaus.org/​maven2/​),
  central (http://repo1.maven.org/​maven2),
  opensymphony (http://maven.opensymphony.com),
apache.snapshots (http://people.apache.org/​repo/​m2-snapshot- repository), snapshots-maven-codehaus (http://snapshots.maven.codehaus.org/​ maven2)

Finally in http://opensource.bamboo.atlassian.com/browse/STRUTS- MAIN-213, we have some test failures, seemingly caused by:

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.ActionSupport.getText(ActionSupport.java:99)

I'm no really across the code in the Struts project, so I'm probably not much help in actually fixing the build, but can definitely help out from the Bamboo side of things. I'd probably suggest the unit tests get fixed first and then the dependency and Tiles compilation problem can be attacked.

Cheers,

Mark C