What do you define as "a user should not be allowed to execute such OGNL code!"? There are times that I want to call a static method and use the results. The problem to me (and as Don pointed out), is that there is malicious code stored in the database that was entered by users - and is a type of XSS attack. The other option is that a hacker as access to your web app file system and is changing a template. If this is the case, my personal feeling is that you should be glad they are only changing templates and not doing a number of other things :-)

/Ian