2007/7/16, Ian Roughley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

What do you define as "a user should not be allowed to execute such OGNL
code!"?  There are times that I want to call a static method and use the
results.  The problem to me (and as Don pointed out), is that there is
malicious code stored in the database that was entered by users - and is
a type of XSS attack.

Sorry, maybe I used the wrong terms.
Data entered by users (i.e. people that uses the application) must not be
evaluated.
A developer (i.e. a person that maintains the application) can do almost
anything.

The other option is that a hacker as access to your web app file system
and is changing a template.  If this is the case, my personal feeling is
that you should be glad they are only changing templates and not doing a
number of other things :-)

This is exactly what the security bulletin addresses. And, personally, I
hope that those who are using Struts 2/WebWork in their applications do not
receive much harm...

Antonio