The closer award I looked after was, imho, the best way my company could give back to the S2 project. By awarding it to the person who closed the most JIRA issues it meant that the work wasn't "tainted" by my companies agenda, it provided a tangible reward to those willing to work hard on the project, and it (hopefully) encouraged others to get stuck in.

If companies aren't willing to create a general prize, we could always encourage "bug bounties" where companies can offer rewards for fixing specific problems or adding specific features they want.

Al.

----- Original Message ----- From: "James Mitchell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Struts Developers List" <dev@struts.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, April 07, 2008 4:49 PM
Subject: Re: Feature sponsorship proposal

I'm inclined to vote down anything mixing Community and Corporate agenda. I think that's just a bad mix. In fact, the ASF has specific rules/guidelines
with respect to corporate involvement (employment) with too many project
leads.

There's a reason that Apache projects are so successful, in one word ...
"community".  I hate it as much as the next guy when movement seems to
stagnate for weeks/months, but that's never just cause to bring in
money/free stuff as incentive.

The folks who want to help when there's a prize at the end will be the first ones to dump your a## when you really need them, but don't have an incentive
to offer.

If Struts (or any project) doesn't have enough volunteers to keep the work
going, then we have bigger issues.

Just my $0.02!