On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 11:53 AM, Don Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Exactly - I'm not suggesting we change how we accept contributions at
>  all and of course, we would try to give credit to individuals where
>  desired, but look at it this way: if IBM donated a server to us, would
>  we credit the person who processed the order or the company that
>  purchased the computer?  Paying someone to develop a feature is a
>  significant contribution that should be recognized, IMO, along side
>  the individual who performed the work.  In addition, as you point out,
>  not everything can be traced back to a single individual.  For
>  example, for a given feature in an Atlassian product, there is
>  involvement from probably 6 or 7 people: product manager, project
>  manager, UI designer, tech writer, product marketing guy, and the two
>  developers that paired on the feature.  If a company took their
>  donation seriously and brought their resources to bear, I think that
>  deserves recognition.

Would be good to clear this with the PRC - I seem to recall a similar
discussion where a project was crediting a company for a couple of
free licenses and someone from the PRC pointed out that it might upset
the official ASF sponsors[1] if they other companies were seen to be
getting recognition without donating hard cash.

http://apache.org/foundation/thanks.html

AIUI Teds on the PRC, so perhaps he can take it to them

Niall