[[ Continuing the discussion on dev@ only since I intend to discuss website
update policy and not the current release ]]

Den tors 11 feb. 2021 kl 08:04 skrev Stefan Sperling <s...@apache.org>:

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 11:03:39PM -0500, Nathan Hartman wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 7:51 PM Private List Moderation <
> > mod-priv...@gsuite.cloud.apache.org> wrote:
> > > When I checked the download page, there were no links for versions
> 1.10.7
> > > or 1.14.1.
> > > i.e. the 2 announce mails were telling people to download versions that
> > > were not on the download page.
> > >
> > > As such, I felt I had to reject the announce email.
> > >
> > > It looks as though the page has since been updated.
> > >

> > That was a race condition.
>
> Worse, it's a chicken-and-egg problem which is documented here:
>
> http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/releasing.html#releasing-release
> """
> NOTE: We announce the release before updating the website since the
> website update links to the release announcement sent to the announce@
> mailing list.
> """

It is indeed a chicken-and-egg problem. However I would suggest to split
this "updating the website" into two separate parts:
1. Updating the download page and possibly also adding a news item (with a
placeholder link to the release announcement) before the announcement.
2. After the release announcement has landed in lists.a.o, update the news
item with a proper link.

If the website is updated in one batch after the announcement someone might
receive the announcement, immediately heading to the download page and then
not finding the announced release.

Stefan actually added the news item with a placeholder in a separate commit
and then added the proper link afterwards so I hope it wouldn't increase
the burden to much on release manager if sending the release announcement
is moved in the middle of updating the website.

One could argue that the time period when the download page is not updated
is relatively short but I think it should be possible to avoid this problem
altogether.

Not everyone relies on the download pages to find our releases.

I agree with this assessment, but sometimes the people who don't understand
the process are the most vocal.

Kind regards,
Daniel Sahlberg