On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 at 07:04, Stefan Sperling <s...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 11:03:39PM -0500, Nathan Hartman wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 7:51 PM Private List Moderation <
> > mod-priv...@gsuite.cloud.apache.org> wrote:
> > > When I checked the download page, there were no links for versions
> 1.10.7
> > > or 1.14.1.
> > > i.e. the 2 announce mails were telling people to download versions that
> > > were not on the download page.
> > >
> > > As such, I felt I had to reject the announce email.
> > >
> > > It looks as though the page has since been updated.
> > >

> > That was a race condition.
>
> Worse, it's a chicken-and-egg problem which is documented here:
>
> http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/releasing.html#releasing-release
> """
> NOTE: We announce the release before updating the website since the
> website update links to the release announcement sent to the announce@
> mailing list.
> """

Which is worse for the end user?
- a broken link to the release announcement
- a missing link to the download artifact referenced by the official
announcement

The former could easily be avoided by noting that the announce mail may
take a few hours to reach the archives.

Notwithstanding that, yes, I did actually forget to update the download
> page immediately after posting the announcements. dsahlberg kindly reminded
> me of this. It still don't see how this is a reason for blocking a
> legitimate
> release annoucement. Instead of rejecting the annoucement outright you
> could
> have mailed us on dev@ with a question like "This looks incomplete. Are
> you
> sure you want to post this annoucement?". That would have been helpful, but
> moderation rejection is not helpful.

Rejecting an email is not the same as vetoing a release.

The moderators have a lot of mails to check.
It's easier from our point of view to reject the email intially, and check
again when a new email comes in.
Otherwise we have to keep track of which emails are pending.

It's not exactly difficult for the RM to send a fresh copy of the announce.
You would have to send an email to inform the moderators that the issue has
been fixed.

Not everyone relies on the download pages to find our releases.

At the moment I sent the announcement at least one distribution (Suse Linux)
> already had RPMs with the security fix ready to go because we had sent
> security
> pre-notifications in private about a week earlier.

Irrelevant.

Cheers,