For XOrg compilation instructions/process, I'd look at CRUX's ports
[0][1].  It's at least a couple dozen ports to read through but at
least they're simple port/shell scripts.

As for Nano-X (nee, microwindows), it's an X11-like API (though not
compatible) derived from mini-X.  microwindows adds a Win32 compatible
API, and NXLib adds an X11 compatible API.  You can even add
non-accelerated OpenGL to it.  The server architecture model is closer
to classic X11 (all drivers built-in or built-out).  It was an
interesting set if code 15 years ago.  Mozilla was even ported to it,
before Mozilla obsoleted the X11-port and dedicated their time
gtk-port.

[0] http://crux.nu/ports/crux-3.3/xorg/xorg-server/Pkgfile
[1] https://crux.nu/portdb/?a=repo&q=xorg