On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 2:06 PM, Dmitry Gusev <dmitry.gu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dmitry Gusev: +1 (non-binding)
>

> I like seeing that new Tapestry committers appear,
> but looking at git logs I see that (almost) the only core committer is
> Howard.

Well, I am the most invested in things.

> Other committers do some rare, though valuable, fixes and apply patches
> from JIRA.

And that is valuable in and off itself.

> From this point of view, it appears to me that having Tapestry committer
> status means
> you can apply patches, but not develop new functionality in core,
> which I would expect from Tapestry committer when voting for him.

No the problem is committers who are not committing. Tapestry is
specifically designed so that it can support a wide number of committers
with different skill sets: you don't have to be a bytecode wizard to make
significant improvements to the code base. I know I'd appreciate the help!

> We can see that most of tapestry5 development now is third party
> development
> which occurs on GitHub and other separate repositories, resulting in a
> tapestry-complement libraries,
> like tapestry5-jquery, tynamo, stitch, tapestry-bootstrap and many other
> wonderful projects.
>
> This is great, though, these projects stand aside from main tapestry
> development,
> and most of them appear outdated after new tapestry releases
> because they released separately from tapestry core.
>
> I'd really like to see more developers of those libraries as Tapestry
> committers so that they
> can support their own 3rd party libraries compatibilities as a part of main
> tapestry development,
> and may be hold tapestry core releases until all those libraries are
> up-to-date with new tapestry release.

We are open to active members of the community requesting committer status.
The worst result from that would be a reminder about Apache standards for
earning commit privileges.

That doesn't mean we should open up the floodgates!  Worse than few commits
or committers would be "dump-and-run" committers; we had some of that in
the T4 days.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry