On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 5:56 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <hls...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 2:06 PM, Dmitry Gusev <dmitry.gu...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Dmitry Gusev: +1 (non-binding)
> > I like seeing that new Tapestry committers appear,
> > but looking at git logs I see that (almost) the only core committer is
> > Howard.
> Well, I am the most invested in things.

There's a lot of people in any community who talk the talk but typically
very few who walk the walk. I have a very high respect for Howard since
most of the time he'll write the code instead of talking about some changes
he'd like to have.

> > From this point of view, it appears to me that having Tapestry committer
> > status means
> > you can apply patches, but not develop new functionality in core,
> > which I would expect from Tapestry committer when voting for him.
> No the problem is committers who are not committing. Tapestry is
> specifically designed so that it can support a wide number of committers
> with different skill sets: you don't have to be a bytecode wizard to make
> significant improvements to the code base. I know I'd appreciate the help!

Any committer can work anywhere in the codebase. In case of conflicts we'll
take a vote. But even if you tried, it's very hard to keep up with Howard
with plain number of commits. You might be interested in fixing your pet
peeve at some point but are you going to maintain interest in the project
year over year and review other people's commits while working on your
things? It's not that Howard is right all the time but by the time you've
made your case on the list, he's already incorporated your feedback,
refactored the code and added more tests. I've seen it happening multiple
times. Most devs are pretty happy with the status quo, that somebody is
doing the hard lifting for you or for them.

> We can see that most of tapestry5 development now is third party
> > development
> > which occurs on GitHub and other separate repositories, resulting in a
> > tapestry-complement libraries,
> > like tapestry5-jquery, tynamo, stitch, tapestry-bootstrap and many other
> > wonderful projects.
> > This is great, though, these projects stand aside from main tapestry
> > development,
> > and most of them appear outdated after new tapestry releases
> > because they released separately from tapestry core.

I wouldn't say most but a successful project always creates a lively
ecosystem around it. Keeping your stuff in a support library separate from
the core has its benefits as well as its drawbacks. A smaller, independent
library can evolve much faster but as each of them is implemented for a
specific purpose, they'll typically drag behind and don't always support
the latest and greatest core release. Also, the bar for bringing in your
stuff to tapestry core is way higher than your typical run-of-the-mill
github project. As a co-founder and author of multiple Tynamo libraries I
can honestly say there's a reason why only one of the tynamo libraries have
"graduated" to tapestry core so far.

> I'd really like to see more developers of those libraries as Tapestry
> > committers so that they
> > can support their own 3rd party libraries compatibilities as a part of
> main
> > tapestry development,
> > and may be hold tapestry core releases until all those libraries are
> > up-to-date with new tapestry release.

For most libraries, that's just not the right path. Being in the core
doesn't automatically mean they'd be somehow more supported. There needs to
be a general interest in a specific piece of code before it makes sense to
bring it to the core. If there's only one maintainer supporting the
library, it is far easier to maintain it outside the core, without having
to deal with the sheer size of the core, the unstability that other changes
cause, random test failures etc. The great thing about open source is that
in any given project, it's pretty easy to pick up the maintenance duties
and start sending sending patches if you want a library you care about to
be updated. Before you know it, you'll be the committer (and surprisingly
often, the only maintainer as well), with others asking you to start doing
stuff for them.

Kalle