I invite you to read http://apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#roles. Tapestry is an Apache Foundation project, so we follow the foundation rules and customs. And one of its core values is meritocracy. I see committer status, besides other things, as a way of rewarding someone's contributions for the project, of saying we trust that person to directly commit code when he/she has some code to contribute.

Contribution to an open source project goes beyond commiting code. It's also about community, writing in mailing lists, writing documentation, writing blog posts, evangelization, etc. Bob Harner, for example, made a huge improvement to one of the historically weak points of Tapestry, which is documentation. I don't recall seeing him doing any commit (please correct me if I'm wrong), but I do think he made a huge contribution to the Tapestry project and I'm very grateful to him.

I think I got invited for committer and PMC status for almost just my participation in mailing lists. I did just one code contribution, the initial URL rewriting code that was later improved by Robert Ziegler and ended up being deprecated and removed later in favor of the Link Rewriter API (and I'm not complaining, software is supposed to evolve over time). And I still think I'm contributing to the project.

I'll now answer your questions with my opinions and I'm not representing the project or any other people with my answers.