On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 13:41:55 -0200, Jochen Kemnade <jochen.kemn...@eddyson.de> wrote:

Hi,

Hello, guys! I'm sorry for the very belated answer . . .

I'd like to hear some opinions about how we should proceed with the Tapestry development.

Which are the things we want to do for 5.5?

I'd like to see an easier way to invoke Tapestry server-side events from JavaScript (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-2225 has me and Jochen discussing some ideas) and better REST support (not just GET and POST). That's my main wishes. The AJAX thing could be easily backported to 5.4.x when it's done.

Do we want to create a 5.4 branch and start progress on 5.5 right away?

Yes. :)

For 5.5, I'd like to require Java 8, update some libraries, maybe add support for Geb tests, and remove some deprecated code. That's basically it.

Regarding requiring Java 8 for 5.5, I think we need to discuss what are the pros and cons and then check the cost-benefit ratio. So far, Java 6 is required. Unfortunately, some companies are still stuck with pre-8 Java versions, even if 7 was already end-of-lined in April 2015 (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html). I'm not against it. Java 8 is great. It's just about not imposing a requirement without disregarding the consequences.

As Java 8 and some library updates can't be done for 5.4.x,

I don't think we can.

I'd create a 5.4 branch right now and do the updates in master.

Thanks!

I'd prefer if we concentrated on the 5.5 release and only backport bug fixes to the 5.4 branch.

Some more important issues may need to be backported, like the ones Geoff mentioned. But I guess they're bugs anyway . . .

I hope we can get 5.5.0 out soon so we won't need to do too many 5.4.x releases.

Agreed.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
http://machina.com.br