Hi,

I expected that someone would bring up this point. I know how hard it is to get a large company to use up-to-date software. However, I don't think that this should stop us from requiring Java 8. First of all, you can use a separate JRE/JDK to run your Tapestry application, you just need to set your JAVA_HOME accordingly, and second, if we switch to Java 8, that doen't mean that we force anyone to use Java 8 features, it should still compile and run Java 5 code fine. But it would give us the possibility to use Java 8 features inside Tapestry and update some outdated libraries that require it. By the way, if we don't switch to Java 8, I guess we don't need to branch and create a 5.5 release in the first place. I don't think that we would benefit much from requiring Java 7.

Jochen