(CC-ing Simone Tripodi, who was the champion of the proposed Beanshell
incubator.
Simone, we're Apache Taverna, an incubating project for a workflow
system. Taverna relies a lot on Beanshell - but as we understood it's
official release to be under LGPL we are facing the requirement to
keep that functionality as a non-Apache plugin)

Agree that loosing Beanshell by default would be a bit of a challenge
- specially for the Taverna Server which won't have an easy "Install
Taverna Extras" button.

I went through again the archives at

https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/BeanShellProposal

https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201305.mbox/%3ccajo+ubunm7ahmov_4tvt6j8nojmcmmpddh1xonfw5b00ty6...@mail.gmail.com%3E

it seems the Apache Beanshell incubator didn't really get accepted -
but supposedly could go directly into Apache Commons anyway?

I am unable to find any further trace of it - so apparently nothing happened :(

Perhaps Simone has some historical details? Are we able to kickstart
this back again?

The source at http://svn.codespot.com/a/apache-extras.org/beanshell/
(2.05b5) is however granted under Apache license.
https://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/beanshell/
Perhaps we could use that? Question is - how to get it into JAR-form.

It is even "Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF)" and so
should be importable even in source-code form - although that might be
better towards Apache Commons BSF than under Apache Taverna -
https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-bsf/

https://code.google.com/p/beanshell2/ is a fork which seems to be more
active (but remains LGPL :-( ).

Apache OpenOffice seems to also have Beanshell support (using 2.0b1) -
but they  only includes it if the build has "ENABLE_CATEGORY_B==YES".

They even copied the source here under the svn branch:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/!svn/bc/1336449/incubator/ooo/trunk/ext_sources/ea570af93c284aa9e5621cd563f54f4d-bsh-2.0b1-src.tar.gz

Actually now I see that the Beanshell 2.0b4 (which we use) is
dual-licensed and also available as "Sun Public License" -  which
could somewhat be OK under Apache:

http://beanshell.org/license.html

https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b

So.. given this - what should we do? It seems we don't need to move
Beanshell ACtivity out of Apache Taverna after all. (yay!)

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes, myGrid team
School of Computer Science