Github user Alex-Vol commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/thrift/pull/1468

    I really hope AppVeyor works now. For some reason the CMakeLists.txt in
Java had an implicit dependency on the compiler but did not have a target
dependency declaration. The new build requires the compiler because the
distribution includes the test classes JAR file and without the compiler to
generate the unit test Thrift classes it cannot be compiled. I am not sure via
what mechanism the previous CMake operations managed to avoid this but IMHO
declaring the target dependency in the CmakeLists.txt makes this very direct
and explicit.

---