Github user Alex-Vol commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/thrift/pull/1468

    The failures are coming from the cross-check system. In my initial approach
of the conversion I did not realize that the cross-check build starts a build
equivalent just to run a test harness and then it kills the running build.
Gradle is not happy having its process killed while in the middle of a "build"
step and although it is perfectly capable of recovering it adds runtime
overhead.

    I am debating changing the harness to either a plain Java JAR file that can
be executed directly via a light-weight make harness or a direct java
invocation. Will see where this goes.

---