Yes I saw the Oracle roadmap page. Even according to the latest version of
the page, it still says that jdk 8 has "Extended Support Until" December
2030, the one ending was "Premier Support Until" (which ended at March
2022). So I think this is quite different from some cases in other
languages:

1. For python, the official doc clearly stated that [1] all the versions up
to 3.6 are already end-of-life,  so we can drop support for all already
eol'd versions [2]
2. For go, the official doc clearly stated that [3] only the latest 2 major
releases are supported. It also have strong backward compatibility
guarantee (so the risk of production service to upgrade the version of go
they are using is minimal), so thrift has a matching policy to only support
the officially supported 2 go versions at the time of release [4]

In jdk 8's case, it's not officially eol'd yet, and there's still
non-trivial risk for a production service to switch from jdk 8 to jdk 11. I
do agree that the project needs to move forward and not be tied with JDK 8
support forever (as in, until December 2030), so having a timeline to give
users time to upgrade is more reasonable than just dropping it.

[1]: https://devguide.python.org/devcycle/#end-of-life-branches
[2]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-5537
[3]: https://go.dev/doc/devel/release#policy
[4]: