William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
Greetings,

On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 15:38 -0400, Yoav Shapira wrote:
No, it just means the package names are changed, from
org.apache.commons.dbcp to org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.

They don't extend, they don't wrap, it's the same class just renamed
to a different package.

Is there a reason for this? One of the few problems we have on Gentoo
with compiling Tomcat from source is the naming-factor-dbcp.jar. I
believe it to be related to this discussion. I believe the above
pertains to that jar and it's contents?

If so is there a reason for the renaming and re-packaging? If it's not
being modified for Tomcat's needs. Could Tomcat just use commons-dbcp?

At this moment it's really difficult for us to build
naming-factory-dbcp.jar since it pulls sources from 3 commons packages.
If there is any way to change that, it would be great.

The resultant package is significantly smaller, and there's no chance of version conflict if the user wants to put a different version of DBCP in the shared folder.

Rémy