чт, 14 мар. 2019 г. в 22:26, Igal Sapir <isa...@apache.org>:

> Does test.threads default to 1 for a reason?
>
> If there is no objection, I would like to set the default to the number
> of available CPU Threads.  It looks like that can be done with a custom
> Ant task which should be fairly simple to implement.

It depends on the actual implementation,
and do not forget to document the setting in RUNNING.txt.

What is the use case? People verifying a release? CI servers that may
have different hardware?

1) Personally, I'll be bothered by this, as I do other things on my PC
while the tests are running.

It is not much, as I always have a custom build.properties file with a
"base.path" setting,
but it has to be documented properly.

2) If additional logging is enabled (e.g. access logs),
things will be messy if several tests run in parallel.

3) If someone explicitly runs a specific test,
things will be messy if several tests run in parallel.

I think that JUnit runs several test classes in parallel, but not
different tests from the same test class. (Maybe it is configurable).

4) IIRC, coverage tests need to run in single thread.

We have a separate configuration at Buildbot to run the coverage tests
once a day (scheduled by time).
I do not remember whether that configuration is explicitly configured
with thread count of 1.

It may be that the other configurations a configured with an explicit
count of threads, but this one has not been configured.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko