Igal,

On 3/15/19 16:45, Igal Sapir wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 9:45 AM Konstantin Kolinko
> <knst.koli...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> чт, 14 мар. 2019 г. в 22:26, Igal Sapir <isa...@apache.org>:
>> <snip/> What is the use case? People verifying a release? CI
>> servers that may have different hardware?
>>

> The idea was more for testing new releases.  On my laptop setting
> test.threads to 8 completes in about 10 minutes, while the default
> 1 thread takes more than 1 hour.
>
> I looked deeper into build.xml and I found some interesting
> information and a simple solution for my issue.  In build.xml we
> have the following:
>
> <property file="${user.home}/build.properties"/> <property
> file="build.properties"/> <property
> file="build.properties.default"/>
>
> So I can place my settings for test.threads in ~/build.properties.
>
> The current order of precedence, however, gives
> ${user.home}/build.properties a higher priority than the one at
> {tomcat}/build.properties.
>
> That is wrong IMHO and should be the other way around, i.e.
> {tomcat}/build.properties should
> override${user.home}/build.properties .  I would like to change
> that order if everyone agrees.

I do not agree. The local configuration (~/build.properties) should
override the default configuration (build.properties). That's why it's
called "local configuration".

Besides, if you implement your proposed switch, then you will be
UNABLE to use ~/build.properties to customize this configuration that
you don't like.

> I added an ant target, echoproperties [1], which outputs the
> merged properties so it's easy to see the final values.

You can also add -debug to the command-line and get the properties.

- -chris