On Sep 6, 2007, at 1:39 PM, Mladen Turk wrote:

If you read my post I was careful enough to not mention the RTC policy.
All I was saying is that current CTR caused too many problems,
because trunk was our stable branch, and disagreement on API
caused drastic things like putting trunk to sandbox etc. All that
could be prevented if we had trunk with CTR and stable branch with
RTC policy (or something like, that would give more stability to the
stable branch).

FWIW, CTR on stable, release-bound trees can work, and
has worked, both here and other places. But it is tough
when the amount of patches becomes significant enough that
true oversight is decidedly difficult or when things
go "too" far in one direction that the retro-active veto
becomes painful and causes all kinds of badness.

Not to succumb too much to jargon, but the phrase
"community before code" *does* mean something and *is*
a guiding precept of the ASF. If fast-and-free development,
whatever that means, must be slowed down, in order to
(re)built community and consensus, then that's the
solution that must be offered and taken.