On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 1:10 AM, Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org> wrote:

> Costin Manolache wrote:
>

>>>  and certainly not

>>> *building* the custom protocol. They actually mandate
>>> that we will have one but now hidden inside some IDL
>>> language description. Any such framework makes
>>> almost impossible to change the protocol specification
>>> while preserving backward compatibility
>>> (One huge problem why AJP is not usable any more)
>>>

>> You preserve backward compat by keeping the protocol stable
>> and supporting all methods you define in the IDL. What is needed
>> is bi-directional communication between web server and tomcat -
>> so you can do all the extensions on the list.
>> The stability of the actual method definition is probably more important
>> than the protocol itself - if we start using an IDL, it is even possible
>> expose the methods over multiple protocols if there is a
>> compelling reason.
>>

> Sure, but then you force everyone that wish to talk to you
> to use the same framework. The same thing can be done
> with a pencil and a peace of paper cause we only need one
> protocol, not zillion of them.
> So in essence you have a new protocol but the sole
> difference is how you describe it.
>
> None of them has multiplexing (Google protobufs doesn't even
> have the transport layer just marshal/unmarshal, while thrift
> transport is unix only).
> The only OSS solution that I know is w3c's http mux, but that's only
> Java part and IMO incompatible with ASL license.

I think it is good to separate marshaling from the transport and the actual
service API. Our main value is the API - simple forwarding, async
forwarding,
load info, etc. After we implement the primitive - it is possible to expose
them
over multiple transports - socket, unix, etc and even marshal the messages
using different libraries. We could even expose an API over plain HTTP (
without
mux-ing ). I am only suggesting one marshal library ( at least for start ),
and
a small changes to the transport we have.

The API can be something like:
- legacyRequest(RequestMessage) - whatever we have in the current AJP
protocol
- getServerLoad() and whatever new we wanted to add

Instead of defining AJP extensions, we just pick one of the marshalling libs
and use them
for encoding the new methods.

Later we can add:
- asyncInputData(reqId, Data) - on tomcat
- asyncSendData(reqId, Data) - on web server

For transport - we can keep most of the current code, but for async we need
to stop waiting for
a response to each request, and use a request ID ( or 'channel ID' ) and
multiplex.
I think this can be done without a huge effort, and incrementally - i.e.
alongside the
existing code, reusing what we have. Well, maybe I'm underestimating, but
I'm pretty sure
the harder part will be agreeing on details like what marshaling to use,
what branch and
review process - can anyone veto a proto/api he doesn't like, etc :-) That's
why I'm suggesting
that long term we could support multiple marshalling and API extensions, if
there are strong
religious reasons.

In any case - there are quite a few mux protos out there - SSH proto, PPP,
few in w3c /http.next, etc,
and most can use any payload ( marshalling/api ).

And for 'human readable' - I can throw in XMPP as an alternative to your
wsgi :-)

Costin