Mladen Turk wrote:
Costin Manolache wrote:
So in essence you have a new protocol but the sole
difference is how you describe it.

The API can be something like:
- legacyRequest(RequestMessage) - whatever we have in the current AJP
protocol
- getServerLoad() and whatever new we wanted to add

Instead of defining AJP extensions, we just pick one of the marshalling libs
and use them
for encoding the new methods.

Again, you are presuming a new protocol and IMO everyone
here are just getting nasty red spots on their faces when
you do such a thing ;)
I was gonna reply earlier, but my red spot reaction got kind of severe :)
I have a hard time seeing why we would need yet another protocol.
I think history has shown that to be a tough challenge.

IMHO the solution would be to gather separate
community and move all development outside the
Tomcat, because it simply doesn't fit here.
The current code base for mod_jk and java side
connector is huge, and imagine how large it would
be with all the bells and whistles added.

Tomcat could serve as an incubator for such a
project, but I see no reason not to use
Apache Incubator directly. Maybe we will
attract larger community this way.

Regards