Guenter Knauf wrote:
Personally I would prefer something like the MSYS or Cygwin installer:
one executable (I think this could / should even be written in Java)

One thing I hate with Cygwin is it's installer, and with Mingw I really
have no clue what to download from the hundred or so things on the sf site,
so it's all about taste ;)

which then downloads the required packages from the mirrors depending on
the platform it runs on, and depending on choices the user selects.
This way you split into as many packages as you think makes sense while
finally hiding this from the user who always only needs to download the
installer - and perhaps its even more simple if we would have a
installer applet which launches via Java Webstart...

This is just one view on the subject.
There are users that create their own packages, embed Tomcat, install on
server farm and generally do a whole sort of things.

BTW, what you are suggesting can be done with Maven, so there's
no reason for some generic installer.
I think someone is even maintaining the Maven repository.

Regards
--
^(TM)