I've just finished correcting the pom inconsistencies. The conclusion of
this work is that ALL samples had wrong parent poms specified... Modules
were correctly specified so when building from a top-level folder (i.e.
samples/) there was no problem. However, when trying to build a single
sample with a local maven repo that didn't have the required poms (i.e.
apache-7.pom), the paths and artifactIds to the parent poms were incorrect
causing MissingArtifactException.

I've seen in various places tweaks like
<relativePath>../../pom.xml</relativePath> even tough it had a direct parent
only one level up. I think these point out that the fine granularity of the
poms makes it too hard for us to maintain. If we run into the same problem
in the future I suggest we reconsider and move to either a single pom in
samples/ or poms in each direct child of samples (getting-started,
learning-more, ...) and samples.