On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Kendall Bennett wrote:

> David Dawes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Even though I have XFree86 CVS commit access, I do most of my new
> > work in a separate tree, which I keep in sync with the XFree86
> > tree.  I don't find this to be a significant burden.
>
> Sure, I don't do actual development in that tree either. But when I am
> done I need to the code into the official tree to avoid major patching
> and integration headaches in the future. For you that is easy, since you
> can just commit your changes into the primary tree.

I doubt that I do as much development work as you, but I've found
CVS's merging reliable enough that I can afford to do a CVS update
into my development tree every night. When the update touches lines
that I have also changed, it handles the conflict well enough that
it is easy to sort out.

Sure, the CVS tree doesn't compile from time to time, but it averages
less than once a month, and if I can't fix it, someone else will in a
couple of days. Even then a build failure in a part of the tree I'm not
working on isn't a problem.

--
Andrew C Aitchison