Yes.  Many options on transition.  I would suggest we consider the
following steps.

1) Define a manual process where Maintainers/Reviewers look for
   new PRs and make sure all the required maintainers/reviewers
   are invited to the review.  Current process has many manual
   steps.  Having this one does not seem like a bad transition
   option.

2) Add CODEOWNERS support to automate assignment of maintainers
   And enforce maintainer approval requirements.

3) Add REVIEWEWS support to automate assignment of reviewers.

Mike