Yeah, but in this case two programs would WAIT for incoming
data (mgetty for the calls and kannel for short messages). I
cannot see how the different indications (that require different
modem settings) could be routed to the right receiver.

This is different from your case where mgetty patiently sits
in the background waiting for incoming calls while another
program actively opens the port, does something and then closes
the port again.

Am I mistaken?

Regards
  Joerg