OK, in this case my suggestion is to leave Kannel alone
and write a tiny program that does what you want. You can
use smsc_at for inspiration, but maybe it's easier to just
compile mgetty inside the Cygnus environment.

Putting this feature into the smsc_at just doesn't make sense.
smsc_at has a well defined task and adding complexity to make
it do something that could easily and cleaner done by an outside
program is just a bad architecture that will come back and bite
you.

Regards
  Joerg