Why would you hang up when you did not accept the call?
IMHO ATH is only meaningful after an ATA.

And: Why do you insist on putting this into Kannel? I agree
that it CAN be done, but it is a bad and ugly design.

You can do what you want outside Kannel with specialized tools.
Creaping featurism is a good way to cripple a project.

Regards
  Jörg