On 08/06/17 18:28, Adam Samalik wrote:

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 7:15 PM, Tom Hughes <t...@compton.nu <mailto:t...@compton.nu>> wrote:
    Speaking for myself I came across that the other day and got as far
    as clicking through to the documentation page and seeing that just
    the contents was about four screens long and gave up at that point
    as it's not something I have much interest in anyway.

    Something similar happened in regard to the specific issue here when
    comment was invited on the arbitrary branching stuff before Fesco
    discussed it in that I clicked through to the document and found it
    was a long and detailed list of steps the sysadmins would need to
    take to roll it out rather than an explanation of what it meant for
    end users and gave up at that point on trying to understand what it
    meant beyond moving from pkgdb to pagure over dist-git.

This is actually a good feedback. The landing page should explain the main concepts and the documentation should give more detail... but maybe the landing page is very high-level and the docs too detailed? And there is nothing in between?

I'm being a little unfair actually. Having looked at it again I think it's more that I looked at the front page and got the general idea and then idly clicked through to the docs and decided that was more detail than I wanted to read given the overview didn't sound like it was something that interested me that much.

I mean it would probably still be quite daunting for somebody that did want to get into more detail I guess but I think I wound up there following through from some of the other stuff about arbitrary branching and I was mostly just trying to see what changes I (as a packager largely avoiding modularity) might find it impossible to avoid and that was just the point at which I decided I wasn't likely to find anything useful to that goal there and bailed out.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (t...@compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/