On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 09:51:49AM -0800, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > On Tue, 2018-02-27 at 19:41 -0600, Richard Shaw wrote:

> >> Unannounced soname bumps are a pain :)
> >
> > Right. It's not "bureaucratic" if it's a specific response to a real
> > problem that keeps happening. That's more or less the *opposite* of
> > bureaucratic.
>
> I don't think we need to "force" (how do we do that?) not using globs in
> file lists on libraries. If you maintain some package and have other
> ways of noticing the soname change, great. (inspection, local testing,
> abicheck runs, etc). Personally, I think it's a good idea and best
> practice to not use globs there so you can't help but notice, but that
> seems to me a workflow detail.

I've seen plenty of cases in the past where RPMs have silently had a build
mistake that caused files to go missing, and was never detected by the person
making the change, because of the use of globs. So I agree it is good practice
to explicitly list files without globs whereever it is practical todo so. I'd
make an exception for files which don't have functional impact eg don't list
1000 HTML files individually, but it is always worth listing everything in
/usr/bin, and /usr/lib(64) explicitly without globs.

Regards,
Daniel