On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 01:12:03PM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 05:57:53PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> > mistake that caused files to go missing, and was never detected by the
> > person
> > making the change, because of the use of globs. So I agree it is good
> > practice
> > to explicitly list files without globs whereever it is practical todo so.
> > I'd
> > make an exception for files which don't have functional impact eg don't list
> > 1000 HTML files individually, but it is always worth listing everything in
> > /usr/bin, and /usr/lib(64) explicitly without globs.
>
> I used to agree with this, but I've come around to thinking that spec
> files should be smaller, less complicated, and more automatable. I
> think we'd be better having a post-build test warning that this package
> has files missing from the previous build. That could be advisory, or
> it could even gate, with the packager clearing the gate by updating the
> file list in the test, rather than in the spec file.

The further down the workflow a problem is detected the more time expensive
/ disruptive it is to fix it. So while having post-build tests to validate
lots of things is great (and I wish we had more of it in Fedora), I see it
as complementary to anything that we can do to detect problems earlier. I
rather see failures right away when I test the new RPM build locally, than
waiting to push it through koji and wait again for post-build tests to find
the problem, as by that time I've context switched my mind away to a
different bit of work.

Regards,
Daniel