I'm sorry, but where did you saw that I said something about i686 *kernel*? I
think that I explicitly mentioned *x86_64* kernel with i686 userland and
described why it could be beneficial for some users with limited memory.

As for security, I don't think that running your own computer in a tightly
controlled environment should be *that* dangerous. At least many users did it
for years without problems. That looks like a scare. In either case it's the
user who should decide what's best for him. I don't think that educated
grown-up people should be treated like babies.

Other distributions might drop it or not, we'll see. At least Debian is not
dropping it yet. But this is a moot point now. After all those discussions I
see that nobody really cares about user interests here. At least in Debian's
case they stated that their users interests is of utmost priority to them in
contrast to just useless technical innovation. And I'm not a proponent of
consumerism. So take it lightly.