On Mon, Sep 09, 2019 at 02:52:43AM -0700, John M. Harris Jr. wrote:
> While I don't have statistics on that, all of the anecdotal evidence supports
> that vendors are still "supporting" 32 bit software. In fact, nearly all
> proprietary software for RHEL, for example, is 32 bit.

The EDA tools I'm forced to use dropped support for 32-bit systems in
2015.  Even before that, I recall my own testing showing that the 64-bit
versions were noticably faster, thanks to architectural improvements
inherent to x86_64.

> That's now how vulnerabilities work, and just being 64 bit doesn't solve any
> security issue.

All else being equal, it allows ASLR to be considerably more effective.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy                         pizza at shaftnet dot org
High Springs, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^