On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 7:00 AM vvs vvs <vvs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm sorry, but where did you saw that I said something about i686 *kernel*? I
> think that I explicitly mentioned *x86_64* kernel with i686 userland and
> described why it could be beneficial for some users with limited memory.
>
> As for security, I don't think that running your own computer in a tightly
> controlled environment should be *that* dangerous. At least many users did it
> for years without problems. That looks like a scare. In either case it's the
> user who should decide what's best for him. I don't think that educated
> grown-up people should be treated like babies.
>
> Other distributions might drop it or not, we'll see. At least Debian is not
> dropping it yet. But this is a moot point now. After all those discussions I
> see that nobody really cares about user interests here. At least in Debian's
> case they stated that their users interests is of utmost priority to them in
> contrast to just useless technical innovation. And I'm not a proponent of
> consumerism. So take it lightly.

You know, rather than complaining, you could revive the x86 SIG and
help us support it?

Richard Stallman, like many others, described freedom of choice
insofar as freedom to contribute and use. He often uses the phrases
"helping your neighbor" or "share with your neighbor", and this is a
core aspect of Free Software.

None of us will turn away assistance for maintaining i686 userland if
there is truly interest in it. It's being retired because no one
stepped up in the past 18 months to help maintain it.

Even I, who needs it in some circumstances, am already spread so
thinly that I cannot help with i686-specific issues very much, so I
did not become a member of the x86 SIG. But if this is something that
is important to you, then *please* help to restore it.

Proper architecture support does not come without effort, and no one
has been supplying any.

I promise you, *all* major Linux distributions, and many minor ones
have been having variations of this conversation. Expect to see more
distributions dropping 32-bit x86 support over the next year or so as
people stop helping to maintain the architecture.