On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 12:18 AM Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Honestly, the correct thing is to make it so the maven to RPM
> interface is as transparent as possible. We've done a reasonably good
> job with this in Rust, Ruby, and Python, and the situation is (slowly)
> improving in Go. But nobody has sat down and looked at what we have in
> RPM today and taken a fresh look at how Java packaging *could* work. I
[...]
> Riffing off what Florian had for his DevConf.cz talk title,
> JPackage/RPM Java is basically packaging like it's 1999. The rest of
> the ecosystems are moving forward. Java has not. And I think that's
> where a lot of the pain exists.

That is not true. Java packaging in Fedora has been improved a lot
over the past years. In the last few years we have automated or
improved many things, such as:
- removal of post/postun scriptlets for Maven metadata generation,
- auto-requires/provides for Maven and OSGi artifacts,
- versioned auto-requires on JRE/JDK,
- macros for POM editing,
- integration with various build systems, incl. Maven, Tycho, Gradle, Ivy,
- automatic documentation (javadoc) generation,
- javadoc subpackage generation,
- buildrequires generation during build,
- auto buildrequires (with mock plugin),
and many more

> But without interest or investment from the Java stack packagers at
> Red Hat, there's basically no way to get a redesign of Java packaging
> done, much less even on the table.

I don't see any need for total redesign of Java packaging, but if
anyone wants to do it, you can count on me to participate in that
effort. Likewise, I'm interested in making smaller improvements to the
current design.

If anyone has any requests or suggestions for improvements to Java
packaging, you can write to java-devel list or open issue at
https://github.com/fedora-java/javapackages/issues

--
Mikolaj Izdebski