Fabio Valentini <decatho...@gmail.com> writes:

> Michael Schwendt <mschwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 14:44:50 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>>> Fabio Valentini wrote:
>>
>> All this would not even interest me at all, but almost a week ago
>> someone from Red Hat Security decided it would be a good idea to
>> assign to me (without asking first) ancient EPEL tickets, which are
>> almost five years (!)  old. Apparently, no proper tracking of those
>> tickets has been done for a very long time. It is entirely wrong and
>> unexpected to assign those EPEL tickets to me only because something
>> under the hood knows only a default assignee or such.
>
> For new tickets, I'd understand this. But for old tickets to get
> reassigned to you - I agree that that's weird.
>
> I wonder who the previous assignee was, and why it was decided to
> reassign now, after 5 years?

Andreas Bierfert (awjb), who was recently declared non-responsive.  So:
the assignee of the bug is not around to determine whether it can be
fixed.

I could have also needinfo(Michael) (and in hindsight I probably should
have), but based on their reaction, I don't think they would have been
any happier with that.

My view is that there's an open security bug, so it's reasonable to want
to know whether it's going to be fixed.  The assignee clearly isn't
going to answer it.  Someone responsible for another branch of the
package should be able to check trivially - and is indeed the best
person to ask, since they're the most locally knowledgeable.

In communication with Michael, I did explain that if no one was
responsible for these branches, they should retire the branches.
Michael's view in that discussion seemed to be that the problem was one
I had created, and therefore one I should fix.  (Michael can retire the
branches while I, an unrelated contributor without ProvenPackager,
cannot.)

Thanks,
--Robbie