> On Wed, Jul 19, 2023 at 6:23 AM Jaroslav Mracek <jmracek(a)redhat.com&gt;
> wrote:
>
> Does that mean the issues with dnf [2] we able to be solved all the
> time but just weren't investigated?

The issue was investigated also with DNF, but the issue was well hidden,
because the code uses hard coded set for downloaded elements. For most
investigation we used the biggest repository (Fedora) that showed a high memory
usage and we tried to mitigate what can we do to improve the situation. The
real issue was with update repository that surprisingly uses slightly more RAM
then fedora repository.

With DNF5 we reinvest it as a completely different issue. DNF5 has a better
option for investigation that allow us to discover the real source of the
issue. We knew that DNF5 fixed RAM usage for `fedora` repository therefore we
continued to search in other directions. Basically we were surprised why we got
the report with DNF5 because we know that RAM usage was  improved with DNF5 and
default setting. It means that there where two issues that overlaps with
symptoms but has a different reproducers. Solving the first one (too big
metadata to process) uncover the second issue with processing updateinfo
metadata.

The status of the issue - We have to wait until our patch is reviewed and
merged in libsolv and we have to wait until libsolv creates the upstream
release, because downstream of libsolv in Fedora is not under DNF team control
and the main admin doesn't like any downstream patches.

Best regards

Jaroslav