On Mon, Jul 01, 2013 at 11:41:48PM +0200, Björn Persson wrote:
> Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > As I think I said pretty clearly, there are two streams of
> > documentation: the detailed changelogs and the release notes (which
> > summarise changes in a human-readable form for a whole release).
> >
> > These should already exist, upstream.
> >
> > No need for them to be duplicated, *if* we had better tooling.
>
> Perhaps you would like to write an RFC specifying the Source Code,
> Changelogs and Release Notes Publishing Protocol and submit it to the
> IETF, so that there will be a sane way to automatically find and parse
> those changelogs and release notes? Or do you expect Bodhi to magically
> find and understand upstream release notes in a gazillion random
> locations and an unbounded number of formats? Or what exactly do you
> want the "better tooling" to do?

There's another thread from 1 year ago about this too:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2012-May/thread.html#167184

In brief:

%changelog -f <changelog_file>
%changelog -g <git_repo>

%release_notes -f <release_notes_file>

The packager has to do two things (point RPM at the upstream changelog
and the release notes), once, and the other tools should work from those
forever more.

You could extend this later so it parses out specific version
information from the release notes, but the above covers about 80% of it.

Rich.