On Nov 6, 2008, at 1:13 PM, Brian W. Barrett wrote:

WHY: ORTE is really quite specific to OMPI. We decided long ago that ORTE would not split off from OMPI, and it has been specifically tailored for OMPI. Indeed, Ralph has recently been expanding "ORTE" to "OMPI Run Time Environment". So let's name the library what it really is.

Does it really hurt anything to leave the name as is? I know you love wrapper compilers, but there are a significant number of people who can't use them for one reason or another (like my case, krufty Makefiles I don't have control over). It seems like there's almost no upside, and a significant downside for others.

I understand that some people can't use wrappers, but we added the -- showme options just for these kinds of scenarios. I had thought that that was sufficient -- are you saying that it's not?