On Nov 6, 2008, at 2:42 PM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

Changing the library name is an incompatible change for all programs and
libraries that are linked against it; i.e., it requires relinking.

Agreed.

Hmm, OpenMPI seems not to use versioning for its shared libraries.

That was on the to-do list for this release, but it just didn't happen. :-\

Do you just declare each release API+ABI-incompatible to each other release?

MPI API is compatible across releases; it hasn't changed. We have never [yet] claimed ABI compatible across releases -- we may still do this someday.