On Aug 24, 2009, at 12:14 PM, Ashley Pittman wrote:

> - compiled out
> - compiled in, always convert standard send to sync send
> - compiled in, use MCA parameter to determine whether to convert
> standard -> sync
>
> And we can leave the default as "compiled out".
>
> Howzat?

I don't understand, what the purpose of the middle state? It seems like
a bad idea to me.

It's the difference between:

a. if (0) { ... convert ... } Modern compilers will remove this code as part of dead-code removal. b. if (1) { ... convert ... } Modern compilers will remove the "if (1)" and always execute the code. c. if (some_variable) { ... convert ...} An MCA parameter can load some_variable with 0 or 1.

The point of b is for sysadmins (or individual developers) who want to force there to *always* be correct MPI applications.