On Jan 31, 2018, at 10:14 AM, Gilles Gouaillardet
<gilles.gouaillar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried to push some trivial commits directly to the master branch and
> was surprised that is no more allowed.
>
> The error message is not crystal clear, but I guess the root cause is
> the two newly required checks (Commit email checker and
> Signed-off-by-checker) were not performed.

That is probably my fault; I was testing something and didn't mean to leave
that enabled.  Oops -- sorry.  :-(

That being said -- is it a terrible thing to require a PR to ensure that we get
a valid email address (e.g., not a "root@localhost") and that we have a proper
signed-off-by line?

> /* note if the commit is trivial, then it is possible to add the following
> line
> [skip ci]
> into the commit message, so Jenkins will not check the PR. */

We've had some discussions about this on the Tuesday calls -- the point was
made that if you allow skipping CI for "trivial" commits, it starts you down
the slippery slope of precisely defining what "trivial" means.  Indeed, I know
that I have been guilty of making a "trivial" change that ended up breaking
something.

FWIW, I have stopped using the "[skip ci]" stuff -- even if I made docs-only
changes.  I.e., just *always* go through CI.  That way there's never any
question, and never any possibility of a human mistake (e.g., accidentally
marking "[skip ci]" on a PR that really should have had CI).