Hi,

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 05:58:20PM +0100, Kaspar Schleiser wrote:
> On 12/16/2014 03:12 PM, Emmanuel Baccelli wrote:
> >    BSDing turns it into work I do for other companies, for free. I will
> >    probably not contribute much this way, unless I become one of the
> >    companies taking RIOT and selling it somehow.
> >

> >I don't see how any company could "sell RIOT". RIOT is more a component
> >of something "bigger" that is the actual business. So as a RIOT
> >developer, it's not like there is no room to exploit this situation,
> >should it occur. Isn't this win-win, essentially?
> My work on RIOT is mostly about code, code review and development
> environment. I'm aware that "RIOT" is more than the source, but the license
> mostly affects that part.
>
> If you want to sell an Iot OS software product, as soon as RIOT is *BSD'ed,
> all of that can be taken *as is* and then be sold under whatever terms
> anyone seems fit. Always based on that code & infrastructure work.
>
> (L)GPL tries to put some restrictions on that. Mostly, the source code
> cannot realistically be sold as long it's (L)GPL.

This is not correct (depending on your definition of code and selling
of course).

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DoesTheGPLAllowMoney
"""
Yes, the GPL allows everyone to do this. The right to sell copies is
part of the definition of free software. Except in one special
situation, there is no limit on what price you can charge. (The one
exception is the required written offer to provide source code that
must accompany binary-only release.)
"""

and

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DoesTheGPLAllowDownloadFee
"""
Yes. You can charge any fee you wish for distributing a copy of the
program. If you distribute binaries by download, you must provide
“equivalent access” to download the source—therefore, the fee to
download source may not be greater than the fee to download the
binary.
"""

Also, on a related note, the MIT license (for example) says:
"""
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be
included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
"""

So, even if someone sells the code under the MIT license, you're still
visibly the copyright holder.

In addition to that, the BSD licenses also contain:
"""
2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
   documentation and/or other materials provided with the
   distribution.
"""

So in that case, you can't even (legally) sell a product based on RIOT
without it (and you) being mentioned.

Cheers, Ludwig