Hello sel4-devs,
I came across the rumprun-sel4-demo apps [1] repo. There seems to be some
bitrot as the kernel version keeps moving forward, But after moving the
kernel back to 12.0 and some cmake fixes, I could get many apps(LevelDB,
Redis, Memcached) to compile. Though "hello" ran fine, the few others I
tried failed with various errors in the simulate step(such as page faults
and invalid syscall number). I plan to debug these at some point, but I had
a few questions about the setup before that.

1. Is this repo considered abandoned?
2. Is the rumpkernel+app running as a Virtual Machine or as a user process
in this setup? Phrased differently, is seL4 acting like an OS or a
Hypervisor?
3. Is there a known effort to run another libOS on seL4, such as Unikraft?

The current mental model I have for running real apps on seL4 is something
like this diagram below:

3. App+LibOS(Redis + rump)
-------------------------------------
2. RootTask + other services*
1. sel4
0. Hardware

Most of my contributions would be in layer-2, i.e. (rootTask + other
services). I would then want to expose these new functionalities to the
libc inside layer 3. The kernel itself should be mostly untouched.

Thanks,
Sid
[1] https://github.com/seL4/rumprun-sel4-demoapps