On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 08:55, Ivan Pascal wrote:
>   Hi,
>
> > I see keyboard topics are being discussed right now...
> > there is long standing problem with the CapsLock and turkish keyboard
> > that would be nice to have fixed.
>
> Yes. There *was* such problem and it was discussed year ago. :-)
> (I don't remember but I was sure you took part in that discussion.)
>
> Now Turkish keyboard users just have to set XkbOption "caps:shift".
> With that option Xlib doesn't use 'internal capitalization' but CapsLock
> key acts as 'locking Shift' (but can be canceled by Shift key).  It solves
> the problem.

I don't think that this is a particularly good way to handling things.
Using caps:shiftproduces all sorts of strange behavior - for example,
the number keys will give their shifted variants.

The Turkish user might well wonder why everybody else gets a useful
caps lock key, while they have this monstrosity.

It should be possible in Xlib's code for handling
lock == Caps_Lock to simply special case this; if the lower case
key is 'i', then check to see whether the key in the second level
is 'I' or 'Idotabove', and act accordingly.

Regards,
                                                Owen