Kaixo!

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 09:38:59AM -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 08:55, Ivan Pascal wrote:
>
> > Yes. There *was* such problem and it was discussed year ago. :-)
> > (I don't remember but I was sure you took part in that discussion.)

Yes.

> > Now Turkish keyboard users just have to set XkbOption "caps:shift".

but it is not very satisfactory.
as Owen says:

> I don't think that this is a particularly good way to handling things.
> Using caps:shift produces all sorts of strange behavior - for example,
> the number keys will give their shifted variants.
>
> The Turkish user might well wonder why everybody else gets a useful
> caps lock key, while they have this monstrosity.

We can also tell Turkish users not to use CapsLock; or live with
a casing that doesn't corresponds to their locale... but those aren't real
solutions, only workarounds.

I thought it was too difficult to fix back then; but now I see that special
behaviour for numeric pad is added; so why not a small handling for
Turkish style casing ?

> It should be possible in Xlib's code for handling
> lock == Caps_Lock to simply special case this; if the lower case
> key is 'i', then check to see whether the key in the second level
> is 'I' or 'Idotabove', and act accordingly.

Such one is a nice idea, it wouldn't even need the introduction of a special
keyword.

If someone knows where on Xlib code that casing is done, I may take a look
at it.

Thanks

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://chanae.walon.org/pablo/          PGP Key available, key ID: 0xD9B85466
[you can write me in Walloon, Spanish, French, English, Italian or Portuguese]