Egbert Eich wrote:

> Few drivers do such things now, but using weird tricks (vide XLedFeedback in > citron or shared memory in synaptics).

Yes, many of those 'tricks' may actually introduce security holes.

You bet they do!

But I also agree that a user should be able to ask his stylus it's battery level, if it's capable of reporting that information.

Hell, I'd like the driver to send a Quality Of Service message on it's own if the battery level is less than a given theshold ("Go get a new battery please")

The only way to mitigate the risk is to an API capable of such messages, and then have a single point of failure to architect around.

--
Bryan W. Headley - [EMAIL PROTECTED]