On Thursday 28 of August 2003 17:59, Egbert Eich wrote:
> Sure. What we should probably do now is to get in touch with all
> interested parties to get their input. We must make sure we don't
> jump too short again.

A generalized API for passing messages to and from the driver (to userspace
and back) would be more than useful. It would serve as a way to implement
device-specific features, requiring specialized client support without losing
the generic features that all the apps could use.
For example I could use this API in communicating battery and RF channel
status of my cordless mouse to a client and sending RF channel switching
requests. A client-driver communication is neccessary here, because a user
would want to know the battery level at any given moment, and also be able to
switch the channel whenever xe likes to.
Few drivers do such things now, but using weird tricks (vide XLedFeedback in
citron or shared memory in synaptics).

--
Rafał Rzepecki